Deadline for Absentee Ballots
Qualifications to Register to Vote
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
- resident of this state and the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election;
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction and;
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
Download Absentee: *Scroll to the bottom to download/print*AbsenteeBallot-English
How and Where to Register to Vote (Deadlines)
- You can register in person at your county board of elections or at any New York State Agency-Based voter registration center.
- You may also submit your voter application form at the Department of Motor Vehicles, either in person or on their web site if you already have DMV-issued identification.
- You can request a New York State Voter Registration form by mail by entering your name directly into our mailing list database.
- You can call 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter application.
Adobe Acrobat (PDF)
Documents on this page with an Adobe PDF file icon after the name are in Adobe Portable Document Format. These documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. Visit the Adobe Website to download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
New York State Voter Registration Form
- You may register to vote using the New York State Voter Registration Form accessible at the links below. You can complete a PDF version of the New York State Voter Registration Form on-line by clicking on the link below, typing the necessary information and selecting the appropriate boxes. Alternatively, you can print the form to complete by hand.
- You can also complete an Accessible version of the New York State Voter Registration Form on-line by clicking on the link below, typing the necessary information and selecting the appropriate boxes.
How to Make Changes to Your Registration
Change of Name and/or Address
The voter registration form should be used as a change of address form. Notices of change of address from registered voters received at least 20 days before a special, primary or general election by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for that election.
Change of Party Enrollment
The voter registration form should be used to change your party enrollment from one party to another or to enroll for the first time in a party. A change of enrollment received no later than 25 days before the general election shall be deposited in a sealed enrollment box and opened the first Tuesday following that general election and entered in the voter’s registration record. Please see Deadlines referenced above